Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An 'Excel'lent program :)

This week for our class, we were asked to work on Microsoft Excel working on a simulated grade book. We had a list of instructions that guided us on learning how to create, edit, and adjust the document. Although I have used Microsoft Excel before, I have not used it for "gradebook" material and was very excited to get to know how to work this wonderful program to make grading easier. The task included coloring columns, adding columns and naming them, creating formulas to make a column for averages on students grades, and using the chart to recognize students who are not passing so that we can keep tabs on them and get their grades up. I found this project easy in the beginning, yet became slightly challenged as the process went on, and got irritated trying to create the "averages" columns. I am glad this assignment was required, since it opened my eyes to not only how little I knew about the program, but how infinite the possibilities are that the program provides. 

I found that you can do anything you need to your document to make it "you proof". In this I mean that you can customize the document to your liking and you can set it up so that just by looking at it, you know at glance you can find exactly what you're looking for. I have learned not to be afraid and try to all the different options. 

I have supplied a link to the assignment we were given if you would like to try yourself. Take a look! :)


4 comments:

  1. I like to think of Excel as a big algebra problem. We put in the variables and decide on the formulas to plug into our numbers. We get to manipulate what math it does. It has to be somewhat similar to programming a calculator. I found the application for the extra credit a really neat idea. I never thought of using the statistical formulas as a means to compare students data for quality of instruction.

    Aaron Huestis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote, “In this I mean that you can customize the document to your liking and you can set it up so that just by looking at it, you know at glance you can find exactly what you're looking for.” I agree that this is a nice feature of Excel. When I use programs, such as the gradebook provided by my school, I have to use the program’s format. With Excel however, I have the freedom to set up the spreadsheet however I want. For example, I can sort students by grade, instead of alphabetically.

    I also wrote in my blog that one of the main things that I learned was not to be afraid. I think it is so important that we, as teachers, are not scared to try new things. Otherwise we can’t expect our students to be willing to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also very excited about completing this assignment using Excel. I am not teaching at the moment so I haven't had a lot of experience using this tool as a grade book. During my observations and internships throughout my undergraduate career I have had the opportunity to work with this tool. While working with excel during my internship it didn't seem too difficult. However, completing some of the task for this assignment took a little time. When I began the assignment it wasn't too hard but as I worked through the task they began to get harder. I agree it was frustrating figuring out the averages and formulas. Once I figured out how to do it, it wasn't too bad though.

    I love when you stated, "you can do whatever you want to make it you proof." This is so true. I feel that this is a wonderful feature of Excel and I look forward to using it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same when I was completing the Excel sheet. Like yourself, I have really never used Excel and being a future educator, I thought this module was a great tool for me.

    I learned how to average grades and put in functions that would help me calculate the grades. I also thought the color coding of the columns was a great way to define each column to make it easier on the eye.

    ReplyDelete