Friday, October 22, 2010

Digital Storytelling



Digital Storytelling

For my technology class this week we learned all about digital storytelling and its importance in the elementary school classrooms. I was extremely excited to use powerpoint to create a presentation on why I believe it is important to use digital storytelling in my classroom. I have had many experiences working with Microsoft powerpoint and have loved it since the first day I opened the program. I find the program so easy to use and maneuver through. I am able to pick in every way how I would like my presentation to look. I also loved knowing that my students will be able to work on their own digital story due to the fact that the process is age appropriate with a little bit of guidance. I noticed as I was creating my presentation that my students will be able to create color incorporate video, pictures, sound, and text. They will be able to use their creativity to design how they would like their story laid out. I find that my presentation is more entertaining with the inclusion of colors and pictures and not just bulleted text. I also added background music to get the feel of my ideas across, as well as an easy on the ears feel. I am excited to not only create digital stories for my classroom to show my students, but to introduce them to the program and ideas so that they too can create their own digital stories and share them with their classmates, friends, family, and possibly beyond into the internet. 




\<div style="width:425px" id="__ss_5534501"><strong style="display:block;margin:12px 0 4px"><a href="http://www.slideshare.net/MaggieDaniel/digital-storytelling-5534501" title="Digital storytelling">Digital storytelling</a></strong><object id="__sse5534501" width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://static.slidesharecdn.com/swf/ssplayer2.swf?doc=digitalstorytelling-101022182836-phpapp02&stripped_title=digital-storytelling-5534501&userName=MaggieDaniel" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><embed name="__sse5534501" src="http://static.slidesharecdn.com/swf/ssplayer2.swf?doc=digitalstorytelling-101022182836-phpapp02&stripped_title=digital-storytelling-5534501&userName=MaggieDaniel" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="355"></embed></object><div style="padding:5px 0 12px">View more <a href="http://www.slideshare.net/">presentations</a> from <a href="http://www.slideshare.net/MaggieDaniel">Maggie Daniel</a>.</div></div>


Incase the videos do not work

3 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I got an error when trying to view your presentation - "an error occurred, please try again later." I am excited to see your use of colors and photos as you wrote in your blog.

    I too chose to create a PowerPoint presentation whereas I saw that many of our peers chose Prezi. Prezi looked to be user friendly however I enjoy having more versatility and options within PowerPoint. I also use Keynote at work. I like both and each has their pros and cons but it's more just small differences.

    I incorporated photos, animation, transitions and music into my presentation. I did find it hard though to find truly free music for background ambiance. I wanted something without vocals, solely instrumental thus didn't have much besides classical in my iTunes repository.

    - Chrystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were able to add music. Tat is the one thing I missed from using prezi. I couldn't quite figured it out.
    I also like the idea of letting your students add videos and pictures. Have you considered adding all of this to a school approved blog so you can share with your families? That is my plan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    Even though I did not use the powerpoint presentation for the digital storytelling activity I did have a chance to play around with it a little. I love that fact that you were able to add music to your presentation. This is something that I was not able to do with the prezi tool.

    I think that this powerpoint tool will be very effective for our students because they will have the opportunity to integrate pictures, videos, and music. I feel that they will have fun with this tool. This is something that will motivate them and keep them engaged. This is something that I plan on using with my students.

    ReplyDelete