Thursday, October 14, 2010

What's in your Hardware? The inner workings of our computers.


Hardware Reading Reaction


In my technology class this week, we were given an assignment that may not only end up being a future request one day in my classroom, but helped me learn all about the ins and outs of my own computer. We were required to look into our main computer and find all the information about our system i.e. Operating system, processor speed, memory, screen resolution, and such. We were then asked to find a new product that would be a new program for our classroom. We had to check the system requirements and compare them to our own to make sure the product was compatible with our computer before the school would buy the program for our classroom. 
When looking for a product, I first picked out a few different programs that I found interesting, exciting, and useful to my classroom. Of course, it was only realistic if the product were compatible to my classroom computer. So I began searching for the inside details to what my computer had to offer. I have a new Macintosh Mac book Pro. When looking for this information, I easily just found the “about this MAC” file stored under the big apple at the top of my computer screen, and like magic all my questions were answered. So I picked my top program, kidspiration, and began comparing the system requirements to my system, and with luck I found myself a perfect match. My operating system is MAC OS X version 10.6.4. and the system requires OS X version 10.2.8 or higher. My processor speed is 1067 MHZ while the program requires 300 MHz or faster. My computer’s memory stores 4 GB/ 1067 MHz which was well over the required 192 MB. My computer’s display is color LCD with a resolution of 1280 x 800. The required resolution is 1024 x 768. It also contains the required CD ROM  drive for installation. My computer also had all of the recommended but optional features such as a MAC compatible printer, Internet browser, and a built in camera, microphone, and speakers. 
I had no difficulties installing and running the program, but realized with previous issues on a past computer that I would re read through the directions to make sure I hit every step, and then look into the “helpful information” section on the website for the program, and use their tech support line for guidance. If I can not move further, I may try to contact the technology support of our school to see if they can add any guidance. I was able to pick the exact program I was looking for because I chose an up to date program and I just so happen to have the most up to date computer. I realize this is not the case in most classrooms. I found that I had absolutely no idea about the inner workings of my computer, along with the fact that I had no clue that this information would be so important in picking a simple computer program for my classroom. 
I learned how to make sure I convert MB to GB and the opposite to make sure I am equal as well as making sure I have a computer that is able to install the program as well as have room to store it and enough power to upload it and protect it. This program also requires a lot of extras such as nicely colored screen and a printer, as well as speakers and a microphone. I love this, but am sure that many computers in the classroom will not obtain these just yet. I learned from reading that it is important to make sure your computer is compatible to something before you install it. In a kindergarten setting, knowledge of hardware may still be a bit over their heads, but you can show that getting to know about the machines that we have to use, such as computers, is a good way to make sure we keep it safe and healthy. We need to know what we can put in it so that we do not hurt it, and that we can get good things to come out of it. I believe students may know more about hardware than we give them credit. 

4 comments:

  1. There really isn't too much to fear about whether or not your computer can run a particular progam. Most programs, unless you are talking about some high powered computer game, have standards no higher than the technology that is considered standard.

    I just completed the Florida Technology Survey for my school and their definition of a "modern computer" is still a computer with a Pentium 4 processor and 512 MB of RAM. Our technology is so far beyond this right now. I was looking at the technology in the computer labs in the 3rd floor ed labs at UCF. The computers were just replaced with Pentium I7 processors. That is a computer with 7 ALUs. The pentium 4 only has 1. And the Pentium 4 is still considered a modern computer because most software is still build to be handled by a computer with those specs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found that I didn't know as much about computers as I thought. I teach first grade, so I can relate to you when you talk about the students not needing to know so much about the hardware. I read the chapter thinking "when will I even need to know this information" and then like you, found that I needed it to see if these programs were compatible with my computer. I guess someone has always either told me, or just handed me the program and I didn't need to know the inner workings. Now I am glad I know how all of it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Mags. I also, “found that I had absolutely no idea about the inner workings of my computer.” I enjoyed reading the textbook and learning about the inner working of the computer. I really thought I knew a lot about computers until I enrolled in this class, and I now I know there is so much to learn.

    I also did not realize how much my computer, “information would be so important in picking a simple computer program for my classroom.” I have never had to look up my computer information to see if it is compatible with any other programs. This is important because school computers are not always up to date and this could negatively affect a teacher’s use of the computer in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “I have a new Macintosh Mac book Pro.” This is wonderful. I also use a Mac and love the versatility of the OS and the ease of program installations, printers, peripherals, etc.

    Kidspiration seems to be a perfect application for your Kindergarten class. It promotes both literacy and numerical thinking in a visual context for students. This is perfect for young minds; could be beneficial to older minds too. It is important in today’s education that we help build reasoning and problem-solving skills as we move from industrial style work to a well-rounded comprehension. It’s also great that students can express their creativity with this program. All-in-all Kidspiration seems to be a fantastic application.

    — Chrystal

    ReplyDelete