Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Creating my Rubric AR #7

Digital Storytelling Rubric 
In my technology class this week, were asked to create a rubric to score our digital storytelling assignment that we have been working on for a possible project in our classroom. When I sat down to begin this assignment, I started to hesitate thinking that since my digital storytelling project is for a kindergarten class, it entails a completely different set up, as well as for rubrics, we grade completely different in kindergarten. So I looked to teacher tools to get an idea of what different kindergarten teachers did to create an effective rubric for our students. Instead of using a number to score/rate their progress, I found it easier to use words such as below basic, basic, proficient, advanced. I then went ahead to explain what steps the students would have had to take to reach each point on the scale. Many of our assignments in kindergarten are based on portfolio, so we do not necessarily put a scored grade on every piece of work, although we are always observing and checking to make sure students are progressing. Also, since I am working with five and six year olds, I decided to make our digital storytelling part of the assignment a class project, so the rubric is only set up for the section of the assignment that they will be doing on their own. They are required to write three separate sentences and draw a picture for each sentence about their Halloween adventure. As a class we will use everyones ideas to create our class Halloween adventure. I loved creating an actual rubric for this assignment because it gave me such insight into what exactly I am looking for in their work. I also have something to help me know what they need to work on, and explain and show to parents when we are in conference or writing in their planners. I used a tool called iRubric. You can find my curriculum page HERE :) to review the project we will be working on, as well as my rubric (see below).


CATEGORY
Basic
Below Basic
Proficient
Advanced
writes and illustrates a simple sentence
Shows limited understanding of the concept
Draws a picture and writes words using phonetic spelling
Draws a picture and writes a simple sentence using an upper case letter and phonetic spelling
Draws a detailed picture and writes 1 or more sentences using an upper case letter, end punctuation, appropriate spacing
writes letters that match sounds and words
Shows limited understanding of the concept
Writes letters that match initial sounds in words
Writes the letters that match the sounds in words
Writes 3-or-more letter words
writes upper and lower case letters
Shows limited understanding of the concept
Writes upper and lower case letters with 6-11 errors or prompts
Writes upper and lower case letters with 1-5 errors or prompts
Writes upper and lower case letters with 0 errors or prompts

4 comments:

  1. I liked your rubric a lot. You seemed to do the same thing I did with respect to keeping your rubric detailed, yet brief. That was the biggest concern I had in creating this assignment but I think you did very well with it. I also agree with your statement that using terms such as proficient rather than a numeric value makes it easier on the teacher while still conceptualizing what you expect out of your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the idea behind your digital story, but I am a little confused as to what the main objective or learning goal would be for the students. Are they to illustrate a step-by-step process in order to teach a logical thought process, or would this project be just to illustrate their use of technology in the classroom? The story is precise, but even at a kindergarten level; I don’t see any educational relevance in the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Justin. It is so difficult to come up with a rubric for kindergarten, but extremely necessary. J. Colwell- the students are creating a story. They have to provide three details about their halloween. They not only are coming up with ideas, but they have to put their idea into a sentence. These three sentences create their short story about their Halloween. Since technology is still very new to kindergarteners it would take a great deal of time to have each of them create their own digital story as well as more than one adult to help guide them. So instead, I decided to do the technology part as a class/whole group activity. In this we will go step by step as a class on how to create our digital story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Expressing your hesitation at the beginning of your activity report drew my attention until I read the words, kindergarten class, digital storytelling project, and rubric. Given that the youngest students I have ever taught have been ninth graders, I must admit that it would have been extremely challenging for me to even design the project for a kindergarten class let alone the rubric.

    I thought that you had a good approach when writing your rubric, and I like the result. I did also like the idea of having the kids writing “three separate sentences and draw a picture for each sentence about their Halloween adventure” (para. 1). I am sure they will have fun while doing the project. Interestingly, I had the same expertise when I created my rubric for it also “gave me such insight into what exactly I am looking for in their work” (para. 1).

    ReplyDelete